Gremlin, a darling and absolutely ancient Shih Tzu/Maltese mix had a very sad beginning. He was found blindly walking in circles at the side of the road, where he had no doubt been dumped, by a group of very concerned construction workers. They piled into the truck with him at took him to the nearest vet clinic.
His fur was overgrown and horribly matted, his toenails had grown into his paw pads causing infection, his teeth were in the severe stages of dental disease and decay, one eye was ruptured and the other was shrunken and non-visual, and he had several bladder stones.
For the first two weeks, we were unsure whether or not Gremlin would pull through his surgery. He went home with our director, Sophiane, for intensive critical care. There, he became best friends with Soze, CKSDR's sanctuary rat- a friendship we believe gave him the motivation to recover.
Today, Gremlin is a lovely little old man who spends 99.9% of his time sleeping and the other 0.1% eating. Occasionally, he enjoys playing with the children in the neighborhood, playing "hide and seek" with his mom, Sophiane, and rolling around in the grass.